Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dollies for Little Girls

During the last trip I came across a little one with that limbless Mohawk dolly. George, the informal shepherd for Kyamagemule, helped me find that little darling once again. George helped her understand that I remembered her because of that little doll and brought her a new one. A little unsure at first, she accepted the dolly and cracked a smile only to have it disappear once the camera came out.

How do you even begin to decide which of 300 or more children would be the recipient of those beautiful little dollies my mom made. I always remember Kefa’s point in A Distant Grief…God will show me which one and that I cannot help them all.

I pulled the dollies out of my suitcase and before I even tucked them into my bag one young woman approached and asked for a doll. Because it’s not common for the adults to approach and ask for anything, I thought this might be God. So, I gave her the first doll. She handed that doll to a little girl (daughter, niece, cousin, friend???) who promptly lifted the dress. Throughout the rest of the day this girl cried while grasping this dolly right up until Henry talked softly to her.

All the children stay close when the mzungu arrive, but one in particular caught my eye. I handed Faith the last dolly and again the dress was lifted. Scarcely a smile could be found until I caught her off guard. Faith became my shadow for the rest of the day. She held my hand, laid across my lap, and finally fell asleep against my chest. I was bothered that no one came looking for her, but I was certainly in no big hurry to move her along.

Mom is sending eight more dollies from the U.S. to the Mercy Uganda PO Box in Kampala. I can’t wait to find the girls who will become new mommies to these dollies. Um, mom...Laura would like one dollie for her fundraising banquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment